Do look at our latest newsletter which gives the Agenda for our AGM on 21 March at 7:30pm and outlines our Spring Programme. We have talks on Albert Smith’s Ascent of Mont Blanc(at the AGM), the Bird family of Hammersmith (11 April) and walks around Parson’s Green (9 May) and Brompton Cemetery (6 June). We look forward to seeing you all at the AGM.
Sorry for the lack of posts recently but here is a catch up.
We had a superb talk from Natalie Cohen from the Museum of London Archaeology about the work at the shoreline to record our past. It was both an enthusiastic and fascinating presentation do check the Newsletter for a fuller writeup.138 Spring 2016
The AGM will be on Tuesday at 7:30pm in St Clements Church Hall, again full details in the newsletter.
ENTRIES FOR YOUR DIARY
Tuesday 10 May at 7:30pm
PLAYED IN HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM
Simon Inglis, who edits the Played in Britain series for English Heritage, offers a lively illustrated lecture on the surprisingly rich and varied sporting and recreational heritage of Fulham and Hammersmith. Here is athletics as described by Wilkie Collins at Lillie Bridge, billiards on Fulham Palace Road, skittles with AP Herbert at the Black Lion and a plasterer called Joseph Bickley, whose ‘secret formula’ had racket-wielding aristocrats queuing at his workshop on Lillie Road. We shall hear how a Scottish engineer nipped between Stevenage Road and Fulham Road during the summer of 1905 to build new stadiums for rivals Fulham and Chelsea, and how a squash court in
the grounds of Latymer School was one of seven sports-related buildings listed by English Heritage in 2014-15 as a result of Inglis’s latest, award winning book, Played in London – Charting the Heritage of a City at Play. https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/played-inlondon/. Also to be revealed is how, in 1878, a field in Fulham hosted what is thought to have been the first sporting event ever to have taken place under floodlights in Britain. If not interested in sport, don’t be put off. The evening’s focus is on architecture and social history, with some capital fun guaranteed.
Talk will be held in St Clements Church Hall (see details above under AGM)
Tuesday 14 June 7pm
FROM PALACE TO PRISON – A WALK AROUND FULHAM OLD TOWN
Fulham as well as a palace has a prison, some of the buildings still survive. We will look at the site of the wooden Fulham Bridge and the ferry crossing, where the first Mercedes cars in Britain were built, the temperance billiard hall now a pub, the Fulham war memorial garden where a plaque commemorates a Victoria Cross winner, the surviving kiln of Fulham Pottery, the road that gave its name to a lavatory system and much more. A walk not to be missed. Led by Keith Whitehouse.
Meet outside the Eight Bells pub, 89 Fulham High Street. near the river at 7pm
(one of Fulham’s oldest pubs that has stood here for over 400 years) and perhaps a drink afterwards.
Sunday 24th July 3-5pm
Come and enjoy tea, cakes and conversation at 48 Peterborough Road, SW6 3EB on Sunday 24th July from 3 to 5pm the home of Sue and Lance Pierson. If it is fine we can spill into the garden. Parking is free. Parson’s Green is the nearest station a 10 to 15 minute walk away. Buses 28 and 295 go along the Wandsworth Bridge Road which is 5 minutes walk away. Number 48 is 2 doors from the junction with Daisy Lane.
A strong group of 22 members gathered in St Clements Church Hall for the AGM. Minutes were approved, the annual report, Hon Treasurer’s report and re-election of the Committee were all considered and completed. There were no new volunteers for the Committee amongst those present, anyone who could help should approach the Chairman or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Sadly John Putnam is experiencing ill-health and can no longer carry out the role of Independent Examiner of the accounts. An approach was made at the meeting and it is expected that a well qualified member will take on this role. The role of Publications Manager also needs to be filled as Sonia Crutchlow wishes to step down having done this for several years. There were no volunteers at the meeting so again the Chairman is keen to hear from anyone who can help.
Our stoicism in the face of the AGM was rewarded by a talk from Val Bott MBE of the William Hogarth Trust, a celebrated local historian and museums’ champion.
Val started her illustrated talk with John Rocqu’s Map of 1746 showing Hogarth House location and the riverside hamlet of Chiswick and the outlook across fields and market gardens. Her researches show that the Downs family enclosed orchards in the area in the 1600’s and a will in 1683 makes mention of land including Mulberry trees which is significant because an ancient Mulberry still survives in the gardens of Hogarth’s house.
The house was next recorded as the residence of Georg Andreas Ruperti a Lutheran Pastor who came to England in 1709 and died in 1732. It seems that Hogarth’s success enabled him to seek a second home to add to his Leicester Square house. He purchased it in 1749 and built an extension during 1750-51. A long list of family and subsequent owners followed. The house having fallen into disrepair and sold to a developer, a Lt Col Shipway responded to local clamour to preserve the house and he purchased it and a number of prints to begin a Museum at the site in 1904.
The work continues and despite a traumatic fire the house is open to visitors and contains a selection of Hogarth’s work. Val encouraged all to visit and to purchase the newly published book about its history.
ALL MEMBERS ARE REMINDED that subscriptions are now due. Contact email@example.com for a standing order form.