No. 130 NEWSLETTER SPRING 2013
VISITORS ARE WELCOMED AT ALL OUR MEETINGS
Sunday, 17 March at 1.30pm – 3.30pm
If you have found something in your garden or have an un-identified object that you have dug up, then bring it along and have it identified by archaeologists.
Meet at Fulham Palace FREE (Organised by Fulham Palace)
Sunday, 7 April at 2pm
FULHAM PALACE ARCHAEOLOGICAL WALK
Our Chairman, Keith Whitehouse, who is also Director of Excavations of the Fulham Archaeological Rescue Group, directed the first excavation at Fulham Palace 1972-73. He will lead a walk around the grounds and talk about the archaeological discoveries at Fulham Palace. The museum, including the current exhibition ‘Found at Fulham’, will alo be visited. Items to see will include objects from the recently excavated moat, the remains of a Roman sandal found in a 4th century ditch and the votive skulls of a Roman horse and dog.
Meet at entrance in Bishop’s Avenue. £5 (Organised by Fulham Palace)
Thursday, 11 April 7 for 7.30pm ANNUAL AGM See Separate sheet
Following theAGM there will be an illustrated talk by Barry Le Jeune, Chairman of the London Transport Museum Friends on
THE 150th ANNIVERSARY OF THE LONDON UNDERGROUND
Thursday, 9 May at 2.30pm
THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF FULHAM PALACE
Keith Whitehouse will give a talk on the archaeologicl work conducted by the Fulham Archaeological Rescue Group at Fulham Palace since 1972. remains dating back at least 6000 years. Subsequent work discovered the medieval moated corner where the Palace stood before the 1290’s. To be held in the Terrick Drawing Room. FREE
(Organised by Fulham Palace in conjunction with the Society and FARG)
Saturday 18 May at 11.30am
VISIT TO WILLIAM MORRIS GALLERY, WALTHAMSTOW
The Gallery is housed in a fine 18th century house, standing in a park, formerly the boyhood home of William Morris. It was threatened with closure but has now been extensively renovated with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund. As well as displaying works by Morris, there are items, including paintings and pottery, by many of his contempories. They mainly lived and worked in Hammersmith and Fulham including Frank Brangwyn, Burne-Jones, Walter Crane, Holman-Hunt, Martin Brothers and William De Morgan. The Gallery has an extesive web site. http://www.wmgallery.org.uk/
Address:-William Morris Gallery, Lloyd Park, Forest Road, E17 4PP
Underground and Overground: Walthamstow Central. Take the exit for the bus station. 34,97,215,275 or 357 to Bell Corner. Turn left into Forest Road and the Gallery is about l00yds down on the right.
Underground: Blackhorse Road Station (Victoria Line). Then take bus 123 towards Ilford and alight at Lloyd Park stop which is in front of the Gallery.
By Car: Public transport is suggested. The Gallery is in a Controlled Parking Zone.
Meet at Gallery entrance FREE
Wednesday 12 June at 7pm
A WALK AROUND WALHAM GREEN
An evening walk will look at the historic village of Walham Green, now better known as Fulham Broadway, Dating back to medieval times, it owes its origins to a natural pond that fed the Eelbrook and for centuries was the home of market gardeners, until it was urbanised in the late 19th century and became the administrative centre of Fulham Borough.
Meet outside Fulham Broadway underground station in Fulham Road opposite Fulham Town Hall. FREE
REVIEW OF EVENTS
Wednesday, 19 September VISIT TO SANDFORD MANOR
Members visited Sandford Manor, a private house, so a rare opportunity to see the interior. Built in the 17th century by the Maynard family, it is reputed to have been a home of Nell Gwynne but there is no evidence to support this. From the late 18th century the premises are associated with various industrial uses. Presumably the house was lived in and out buildings would have been erected in its extensive grounds. A pottery making stoneware and tin-glaze wares (1790-1797), a kiln with wasters was found on an archaeological dig in the 1980’s. Also the remains of a kiln where the bricks were made to build the house dating to about 1655. Some unused bricks were found in situ. A cloth and dyeworks, a patent cask manufactory for making wooden canteens for soldiers during the Napoleonic Wars. In 1824 the house and its grounds were acquired by the Imperial Gas Company to establish one of the first gasworks to mass produce gas. During the 1960’s the house became empty and fell into dereliction and was vandalised. The house had been much altered over the centuries but still retained a 17th century staircase and panelling in the entrance hall. An extension added in the 1840’s, when the building was divided into two, was demolished in the 1970’s due to extensive dryrot. The house originally looked like Kew Palace but had its three gables removed during the 19th century probably due to a structural fault. In 1988, it was renovated by a developer who now lives in it. The Society would like to thank Mr Douglas Woolf for allowing us to visit.
Members then walked around the Sands End area seeing the remains of Fulham gasworks that is now just a holder station for natural gas.We saw what is reputed to be the oldest gasholder in the world built circa 1828. Then we visited Imperial Square tucked at the back of Harwood Terrace, the original route of the King’s Road. The Square was built in the 1870’s allegedly to house German workers brought over during a gas strike. Therefore it was known locally as German Square. Nearby is Emden Street, the port they sailed from. Tke King’s Road is an ancient road that in the latter 17th century became the king’s private road to keep it in good repair when the king was travelling from Whitehall and St Jame’s to Hampton Court. Adjoining property owners were allowed to use it and were issued with metal tokens that had to be shown to gatekeepers along its route. Keith Whitehouse showed examples of these including contemporary forgeries! In 1830 the road was thrown open to the general public.
Thursday, 18 October VISIT TO FULHAM TOWN HALL
Over 20 members visited. H&F Council is selling the Town Hall to a developer to convert it into a shopping arcade and residential flats. It is planned that there will be some public use. The building is now largely empty so we were allowed to roam the building accompanied by Council officers. Built in the 1890’s with extensions of 1906 and 1934 (the Register Office). We saw the principal rooms, The Grand Hall with its stage where important civic functions and events were held. The Council Chamber formerly used by the old Fulham Borough Council for Council meetings and occassionally by the present H&F Council. Portraits of former Mayors adorned the walls and stained glass windows depicted various episodes in Fulham’s history. Of much interest were the lavatories and adjoining corridor where the walls were covered in Art Nouveau tiles. The Grand Staircase is lit by a stained glass window depicting the ‘birth’ of Fulham depicting when it was acquired by the Bishop of London from the Bishop of Hereford, erroneously dated to AD691 instead of AD704. It is hoped that various artefacts decorating the walls, including the WWI war memorial to Council employees, can be retained in situ.
English Heritage has now updated the buildings Statutory Listing from Grade II to Grade II*.
We thanked the Council for an informative and enjoyable afternoon. Due to the lack of time the walk around Walham Green was postponed to 2013. See PROGRAMME above.
Saturday, 10 November VISIT TO GUNNERSBURY PARK & MUSEUM
Members visited the museum on a damp but mild Saturday morning. Housed in the former mansion home of the Rothchilds rebuilt in the early 19th century. The Gunnersbury estate dates back to medieval times and in the 14th century was owned by Alice Perrers mistress to Edward III. At the same time she owned Palingswick in Hammersmith now known as Ravenscourt Park (hence nearby Perrers Road). The museum covers the history of a large area including Acton, Ealing, Chiswick and Hounslow and objects are exhibited in the state rooms on the ground floor. Exhibits include items dating from prehistoric, Roman and medieval times found on digs or from the Thames also products from the industries along the Great West Road. Large objects include the Rothchilds family carriage.
The park still retains some garden features, a lake, a temple and a smaller mansion that is not open to the public as it is residential. Members afterwards walked round the park and had a coffee and bite to eat in the outdoor cafe.
2013 SUBSCRIPTIONS ARE NOW DUE
Could members who have NOT YET PAID their 2013 subscriptions please send them to:- Jo Brock, Flat 12, 43 Peterborough Road, London, SW6 3BT. The rates are:- Individual £8 Senior Citizens £5. Cheques payable to “The Fulham & Hammersmith Historical Society”. Please enclose a SAE if a receipt is required.
We are still in great need of a Press Officer who can supply information to local newspapers.This not a too onerous task. If interested please contact the Chairman Keith Whitehouse on 020 7385 3723.
ARE YOU ON E-MAIL?
If you have an email address we could tell you about events and send you reminders of talks and outings. Send your email details to John Hampshire who has kindly agreed to collate them at email@example.com
Please visit our web site www.fhhs.org.uk for membership information