5 August, 2015
The photography of CHRISTINA BROOM
Sue Pierson visited the exhibition and enjoyed it so much she wanted to share this review with you and encourage you to come to the talk and visit the Docklands Museum.
If you have never been to the Museum of London in the Docklands, you have missed a treat. Housed in a Grade One warehouse, it chronicles the history of London through the importance of the river. But until 1 November there is an added attraction in the photography of Christina Broom who lived in Chelsea and finally in Munster Road, Fulham. She is regarded as the first female press photographer, admired by royalty and respected by soldiers and suffragettes. Her photographs are largely informal and are all outside. She was a small woman but carried her bulky equipment on public transport or walked it along roads. She was above all interested in people and wasn’t too bothered about backgrounds.
Of particular interest to us in Fulham are her pictures of the Church pageant in 1909 and the Army pageant of 1910 both held in the grounds of Fulham Palace. There is a wonderful snippet of film of her wandering among the 1914 Boat Race crew at Putney no doubt looking for a good angle for her photo!
Christina died in 1939 aged 75 a few days after she had been enjoying her hobby of fishing in Margate. Her daughter Winnie acted as her mother’s assistant. She gave over 300 negatives to the Museum of London in 1945 spurred on by Queen Mary, herself a keen photographer, who said that they were ’for posterity where people may go and look at prints when they have more leisure.’ Last year the Museum acquired the remaining photos and associated material.
Take a helpful magnifying glass from the rack on your way in. If you are looking at the rest of the Museum, allow plenty of time. You won’t be disappointed!
2 July, 2015
Croydon Airport Control Tower
About a dozen members visited the Croydon Airport Museum in the old Terminal Building, itself a Grade II listed building in a recognisably early 20th century neo-classical style. The building is oriented to the points of the compass rather than the line of the road. Meeting in the old arrivals and departure lounge the group were able to take a coffee at the snack bar and explore the visual panels of the Museum. Our guide gave us an overview of the layout and the history of this the first international Airport with its own purpose designed buildings. Although the lager part of the building is given over to commercial offices the foyer museum and the Control Tower convey the feel for what it must have been like in the early days of air travel. There are many photographs of the developments in air-travel and of the airport. Initially WW1 RAF Beddington and the NAtional Aircraft Factory No1 were combined with an enlarged runway and the new terminal. Displays of aircraft seating showed how important weight was, and still is, in commercial travel; some of the seating resembling Lloyd loom chairs! There were a number of families also visiting and the youngsters were drawn to a PC running a flight simulation giving the feel of taking off and landing an early airliner. Without exception they all crashed on landing but one of our young at heart members managed a safe landing. Honour satisfied we all repaired to the Gypsy Moth pub across the road for lunch, itself a reminder that Sir Francis Chichester had first flown aircraft from here before transferring his adventures and the name to yachts.
4 June, 2015
Clothworkers’ Centre Blythe Road
The visit to The Clothworkers’ Centre for the Study and Conservation of Textiles and Fashion saw a group of 12 members arrive at the former National Savings Bank HQ in Blythe road. The centre under the control of the Victoria and Albert Museum is responsible for storing the nation’s costumes, dresses, hats, shoes and other fabric materials items for museums to use in fashion exhibitions. Having proved one’s identity and all handbags and cameras put in lockers we were escorted to an upper floor where we entered a controlled atmosphere designed to keep moths and other insects that can destroy fabric material at bay.
Storage at ClothWorkers’ Centre
The centre is basically a very long room filled on both sides with many rolling stacks which provide hanging space for costumes and dresses (Versace, Quant etc) encased in the white material used by the police for forensic suits, and if that is not possible in special deep drawers where items can be laid flat. We were shown a pearl encrusted dress worn by Queen Elizabeth and a couple of other items but usually specific items are requested for people who come to the centre by appointment. To reflect our interest the group were shown panels by William Morris and also some panels by the Silver Studio located at Brook Green in earlier years. The curator was interested to hear facts about the former National Savings Bank as one of our members had worked there as had another’s partner and Keith was able to add further information as well. They welcome further anecdotes about the site. Check out the short video on the cloth workers website and you will also see the metal dress and the wonderful sampler that we were also shown and it will give you an idea of the layout of the department, the small library and display panels.
Postscript: CROYDON AIRPORT Visit 7 June Note Bus from Waddon Station is 298
19 May, 2015
Terminal Building & Heron A/C
The oldest airport buildings in the world with an exhibition space in the Control Tower charting the history of Croydon Airport through WW1 and becoming London’s International Airport until superceeded by LHR, to its closure in 1959. There is a snack bar in the Terminal Building but local advice tends towards the Gypsy Moth pub nearby.
by train to Waddon then 298 bus to the airport.
by car to Purley Way CR0 0XZ with Free parking.
14 May, 2015
Fulham Town Hall
A reminder of this second visit to the redundant Fulham Town Hall. A popular Grade II listed building built in 1890 with extensions in 1904 and 1934. Largely unaltered it contains many interesting features including Art Nouveau tiles and stained glass windows. Due to be sold to Dory Ventures it will host a shopping arcade, cafe/restaurant, flats and will be a venue for weddings and meetings. Chairman will also outline the plans for a local museum at the site. Meet at 2 PM outside the Town Hall in Fulham Road opposite the tube station. Buses 14, 414, 211, 28 & 295 all stop very close.
This visit is FREE.
19 March, 2015
A strong group of 22 members gathered in St Clements Church Hall for the AGM. Minutes were approved, the annual report, Hon Treasurer’s report and re-election of the Committee were all considered and completed. There were no new volunteers for the Committee amongst those present, anyone who could help should approach the Chairman or email email@example.com . Sadly John Putnam is experiencing ill-health and can no longer carry out the role of Independent Examiner of the accounts. An approach was made at the meeting and it is expected that a well qualified member will take on this role. The role of Publications Manager also needs to be filled as Sonia Crutchlow wishes to step down having done this for several years. There were no volunteers at the meeting so again the Chairman is keen to hear from anyone who can help.
Our stoicism in the face of the AGM was rewarded by a talk from Val Bott MBE of the William Hogarth Trust, a celebrated local historian and museums’ champion.
Val started her illustrated talk with John Rocqu’s Map of 1746 showing Hogarth House location and the riverside hamlet of Chiswick and the outlook across fields and market gardens. Her researches show that the Downs family enclosed orchards in the area in the 1600’s and a will in 1683 makes mention of land including Mulberry trees which is significant because an ancient Mulberry still survives in the gardens of Hogarth’s house.
The house was next recorded as the residence of Georg Andreas Ruperti a Lutheran Pastor who came to England in 1709 and died in 1732. It seems that Hogarth’s success enabled him to seek a second home to add to his Leicester Square house. He purchased it in 1749 and built an extension during 1750-51. A long list of family and subsequent owners followed. The house having fallen into disrepair and sold to a developer, a Lt Col Shipway responded to local clamour to preserve the house and he purchased it and a number of prints to begin a Museum at the site in 1904.
The work continues and despite a traumatic fire the house is open to visitors and contains a selection of Hogarth’s work. Val encouraged all to visit and to purchase the newly published book about its history.
ALL MEMBERS ARE REMINDED that subscriptions are now due. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a standing order form.
12 November, 2014
Friday 14 November at 1400 meet at the old arch in West Smithfield with Henry VIIIth above it
Tour to include Hogarth paintings on the main staircase, St Bartholomew the Less church and the Museum with hopefully a visit to St Bartholomew the Great.
St Bartholomew The Great
Sue Pierson is coordinating (0207 731 6544 for more information) All welcome, there will be a charge of £4 for the hospital. Nearest Tube Barbican. If our last visit to this area led by Sue is anything to go by this should be fascinating.
20 October, 2014
FULHAM’S CYCLIST BATTALION GOES TO WAR
Thursday 30 October at 1930 in St Clements Hall, Fulham Palace Road
A talk by our Chairman Keith Whitehouse on the 25th County of London (Cyclist) Battalion, its history from 1888 through the First World War. Keith will illustrate the talk with slides, medals and artefacts and is a good accompaniment to the Fulham Palace Through the Great War Exhibition that opens in the same week through to April next year. FREE all welcome. Refreshments afterwards.
TOUR OF HISTORIC BART’S HOSPITAL
Friday 14 November at 1400 meet at the old arch in West Smithfield with Henry VIIIth above it
Tour to include Hogarth paintings on the main staircase, St Bartholomew the Less church and the Museum with hopefully a visit to St Bartholomew the Great. Sue Pierson is coordinating (0207 731 6544 for more information) All welcome, there will be a charge of £4 for the hospital.
SOCIETY CHRISTMAS DINNER
Monday 8 December at 1900 in the Plough and Harrow 120-124 King St Hammersmith
All members should have received a booking form with their Newsletter a full (optional) 3 courses and a drink costs just £13.45 please send forms with a £3 per person deposit to Keith Whitehouse, 85 Rannoch Road Hammersmith W6 9SX by 1 December. It should be a great opportunity for members to get together.
FULHAM PALACE THROUGH THE GREAT WAR
26 October 2014 – 16 April 2015 FREE. Charts the part played by the Bishop and FuPalace in WW1
LONDON AND MIDDLESEX ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY 49th Local History Conference
Saturday 22 November 1030-1700 at Museum of London
Entitled “COPPERS, CROOKS & COUNSEL: LAW & ORDER IN LONDON” Tickets £15 (£12 if paid before 31 Oct) Enclose Cheque and SAE to Eleanor Stanier, 48 Coval Road, East Sheen, SW14 7RL.
15 July, 2014
Visit to Merton Priory Chapter House & Morden Hall Park – 26 July 14 – flyer
FHHS members and friends are invited to join a visit, during ‘Archaeology Weekend’, to Merton Priory Chapter House, Colliers Wood; followed by a short Walk along a well-maintained, level path (1.76km, 25 mins) beside the River Wandle to Morden Hall Park (NT).
We meet at 11.00am at the Band Stand in Merton Abbey Mills (SW19 2RD)
Full details in the link above. The visit will be led by Jane Bowden-Dan, it would be helpful though not essential if you could let her know by completing the form below.
24 April, 2014
Just a quick note to say the exhibition on William Kent at the V&A is well worth a visit. Amongst other sites he did work at Chiswick House and Kensington Palace.