RECENT EVENTS

25 June, 2018

    15 MAY ST PETER’S CHURCH & SQUARE


On a very balmy evening we gathered at the church and had a look inside. We heard what Pevsner had to say about it and a little of its history. It must have been idyllic before the predations of motor transport. The group then walked around the square noting the splendid buildings and even a small terrace in similar style that was built to complete the square when the Commodore Cinema was demolished. Diverting into some of the less grand streets it was interesting to note the number of corner shops that have now been converted to homes.
Thence underneath the roaring A4 to wander along Hammersmith Terrace noting its former residents which include A P Herbert and Emery Walker (list). Again a number of former shops were evident in the houses opposite, a reminder just how local shopping was despite the presence of King Street so near. The evening was concluded, for some at least, with refreshment at the Black Lion.

    29 MAY WATTS GALLERY

An extra event was arranged to see the Cecil French Bequest to LBHF of pre-Raphaelite works before the exhibition closed at the end of the month. Four cars worth of members braved the rather damp weather to journey down to Guildford. The weather improved soon after arrival and a good exhibition was complemented by a great lunch in the cafe. Some visited the Church and the Watts studio and we were all met by a wall of water as we headed home. Nevertheless a good visit and well worth seeing as the works may not be exhibited again for some time.

Advertisements

DATES FOR YOUR AUTUMN DIARY

6 August, 2015

Saturday, 22 August at 2pm
VISIT TO HOGARTH HOUSE & CHISWICK CHURCH

Val Bott’s talk at our AGM was so well received that it was decided to visit again since our last visit in 2012.
The Grade I listed country home of the painter, engraver and satirist William Hogarth. Built about 1700 the house has been extensively refurbished. Rescued and opened as a musum in 1904, it contains new displays on Hogarth’s life and work and some rooms are furnished in period style. Hogarth is buried in nearby Chiswick Churchyard. On our previous visit we were unable to gain entry to the church.
The visit will start at 1400 (2pm) at the Church, St Nicholas Chiswick which is at the junction of Church Lane and Chiswick Mall. So if arriving by car and parking at Chiswick Park do allow time to walk to the church. We will then move on to Hogarth House, Hogarth Lane, Great West Road, (Hogarth Roundabout on A4), W4 2QN
Underground: Turnham Green (District)
Bus: 190
Car: Parking available at nearby Chiswick Park (Turning off A4)
Admission: FREE

Tuesday, 22 September at 7.30pm
CHRISTINA BROOM – PIONEER PHOTOGRAPHER (1862-1939)

Anna Sparham will give a talk on Christina Broom, the pioneering photographer, who had a shop in Munster Road, Fulham. She is regarded as the UK’s first female press photographer. With creativity and a bold pioneering spirit she took the camera to the streets and captured thousands of images of people and events in London, revealing unique observations of the city at the start of the 20th century. This talk illustrates the exhibition at the Museum of London Docklands.
Place: St Clements Church Hall, Fulham Palace Road, SW6 (near corner of Crabtree Lane,) Buses 74, 220, 424, 430 (stop outside), 190, 211, 295, (stop nearby in Lillie Road).

SOLDIERS AND SUFFRAGETTES: The Photography of Christina Broom (Curated by Anna Sparham) Info online:
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/docklands/whats-on/exhibitions-displays/christina-broom/
Monday-Sunday: 10am-6pm until 1 Nov
Museum of London Docklands
No.1 Warehouse, West India Quay
London, E14 4AL 020 7001 9844
DLR: West India Quay (2 mins) Tube: Canary Wharf
Admission: FREE

Sunday, October 4 at 2pm
ALBERT MEMORIAL

Visit to the sculptures of the Albert Memorial
The tour will last about 45 minutes and costs £8/£7 concessions. 15 places.
Book by 24 September with Sue Pierson on 020 7731 6544 or email: sue@lancepierson.org

Friday, November 6 at 2pm
ST PAULS CATHEDRAL

Visit to the triforium (upper floor) of St Paul’s Cathedral. To include the library, the geometrical staircase and the Trophy room which includes Wren’s great model and artefacts from the medieval cathedral. Tour to last about an hour. 15 places only. Cost £23.50/ concessions 21.50. This includes access to the rest of the cathedral.

NB There are 141 steps to climb and no lift!
Book by 24 October with Sue Pierson on 020 7731 6544 or email: sue@lancepierson.org

OTHER EVENTS
London Open House Weekend 19/20 September. This is always fascinating with many properties not normally open to the public. Details at: http://www.openhouselondon.org.uk/


A PREVIEW OF SOLDIERS AND SUFFRAGETTES

5 August, 2015

The photography of CHRISTINA BROOM
Sue Pierson visited the exhibition and enjoyed it so much she wanted to share this review with you and encourage you to come to the talk and visit the Docklands Museum.

If you have never been to the Museum of London in the Docklands, you have missed a treat. Housed in a Grade One warehouse, it chronicles the history of London through the importance of the river. But until 1 November there is an added attraction in the photography of Christina Broom who lived in Chelsea and finally in Munster Road, Fulham. She is regarded as the first female press photographer, admired by royalty and respected by soldiers and suffragettes. Her photographs are largely informal and are all outside. She was a small woman but carried her bulky equipment on public transport or walked it along roads. She was above all interested in people and wasn’t too bothered about backgrounds.
Of particular interest to us in Fulham are her pictures of the Church pageant in 1909 and the Army pageant of 1910 both held in the grounds of Fulham Palace. There is a wonderful snippet of film of her wandering among the 1914 Boat Race crew at Putney no doubt looking for a good angle for her photo!
Christina died in 1939 aged 75 a few days after she had been enjoying her hobby of fishing in Margate. Her daughter Winnie acted as her mother’s assistant. She gave over 300 negatives to the Museum of London in 1945 spurred on by Queen Mary, herself a keen photographer, who said that they were ’for posterity where people may go and look at prints when they have more leisure.’ Last year the Museum acquired the remaining photos and associated material.
Take a helpful magnifying glass from the rack on your way in. If you are looking at the rest of the Museum, allow plenty of time. You won’t be disappointed!

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/christinabroom


VISIT TO CROYDON AIPORT MUSEUM 7 JUNE

2 July, 2015

Croydon Airport Control Tower an Art Deco Building

Croydon Airport Control Tower

About a dozen members visited the Croydon Airport Museum in the old Terminal Building, itself a Grade II listed building in a recognisably early 20th century neo-classical style. The building is oriented to the points of the compass rather than the line of the road. Meeting in the old arrivals and departure lounge the group were able to take a coffee at the snack bar and explore the visual panels of the Museum. Our guide gave us an overview of the layout and the history of this the first international Airport with its own purpose designed buildings. Although the lager part of the building is given over to commercial offices the foyer museum and the Control Tower convey the feel for what it must have been like in the early days of air travel. There are many photographs of the developments in air-travel and of the airport. Initially WW1 RAF Beddington and the NAtional Aircraft Factory No1 were combined with an enlarged runway and the new terminal. Displays of aircraft seating showed how important weight was, and still is, in commercial travel; some of the seating resembling Lloyd loom chairs! There were a number of families also visiting and the youngsters were drawn to a PC running a flight simulation giving the feel of taking off and landing an early airliner. Without exception they all crashed on landing but one of our young at heart members managed a safe landing. Honour satisfied we all repaired to the Gypsy Moth pub across the road for lunch, itself a reminder that Sir Francis Chichester had first flown aircraft from here before transferring his adventures and the name to yachts.


VISIT TO V&A CLOTHWORKERS’ CENTRE 24 APRIL

4 June, 2015
An impressive view of  gatehouses and entrance to the ornate building.

Clothworkers’ Centre Blythe Road

The visit to The Clothworkers’ Centre for the Study and Conservation of Textiles and Fashion saw a group of 12 members arrive at the former National Savings Bank HQ in Blythe road. The centre under the control of the Victoria and Albert Museum is responsible for storing the nation’s costumes, dresses, hats, shoes and other fabric materials items for museums to use in fashion exhibitions. Having proved one’s identity and all handbags and cameras put in lockers we were escorted to an upper floor where we entered a controlled atmosphere designed to keep moths and other insects that can destroy fabric material at bay.

Long rows of roller storage cabinets with curator examining materials

Storage at ClothWorkers’ Centre

The centre is basically a very long room filled on both sides with many rolling stacks which provide hanging space for costumes and dresses (Versace, Quant etc) encased in the white material used by the police for forensic suits, and if that is not possible in special deep drawers where items can be laid flat. We were shown a pearl encrusted dress worn by Queen Elizabeth and a couple of other items but usually specific items are requested for people who come to the centre by appointment. To reflect our interest the group were shown panels by William Morris and also some panels by the Silver Studio located at Brook Green in earlier years. The curator was interested to hear facts about the former National Savings Bank as one of our members had worked there as had another’s partner and Keith was able to add further information as well. They welcome further anecdotes about the site. Check out the short video on the cloth workers website and you will also see the metal dress and the wonderful sampler that we were also shown and it will give you an idea of the layout of the department, the small library and display panels.

Postscript: CROYDON AIRPORT Visit 7 June Note Bus from Waddon Station is 298


VISIT TO CROYDON AIRPORT VISITORS CENTRE Sunday 7 June at 1130

19 May, 2015

White early 20th C terminal building with Heron A/C in front

Terminal Building & Heron A/C

The oldest airport buildings in the world with an exhibition space in the Control Tower charting the history of Croydon Airport through WW1 and becoming London’s International Airport until superceeded by LHR, to its closure in 1959. There is a snack bar in the Terminal Building but local advice tends towards the Gypsy Moth pub nearby.
Travel:
by train to Waddon then 298 bus to the airport.
by car to Purley Way CR0 0XZ with Free parking.


FULHAM TOWN HALL Visit Friday 15 May 1400

14 May, 2015

Picture of Victorian Fulham Town Hall with glazed porch and steps to busy Fulham Broadway.

Fulham Town Hall

A reminder of this second visit to the redundant Fulham Town Hall. A popular Grade II listed building built in 1890 with extensions in 1904 and 1934. Largely unaltered it contains many interesting features including Art Nouveau tiles and stained glass windows. Due to be sold to Dory Ventures it will host a shopping arcade, cafe/restaurant, flats and will be a venue for weddings and meetings. Chairman will also outline the plans for a local museum at the site. Meet at 2 PM outside the Town Hall in Fulham Road opposite the tube station. Buses 14, 414, 211, 28 & 295 all stop very close.
This visit is FREE.