All prices include postage. Reduced prices apply to books sold at meetings.
Bradmore House, Hammersmith
Keith Whitehouse. Built some 300 years ago, most of the house has been demolished (or used in part as a bus depot). But the baroque façade was turned from East to West and has been well restored.
26pp, illustrated. £4.50
Fulham Bridge, 1729-1886
G and M Dewe. The predecessor of Putney Bridge. Fulham’s oldest street, the High Street, leads down to the Thames where a wooden toll bridge was constructed in 1729.
147pp, illustrated. £4.50
Fulham’s Historian: a biographical sketch of Charles James Fèret, 1854-1921
Michael Dewe. Fèret was the author of “Fulham Old and New”, in three volumes, published in 1900.
35pp, illustrated. £2.
Fulham in the Second World War
A new edition of this popular title first published in 1984.
Hammersmith and Fulham Pubs.
Images of London Series
Chris Amies, 2004.
127 pp, numerous b&w illustrations. £14.50
Charles Hailstone. The first Hammersmith Bridge, the first suspension bridge over the Thames, was built in 1827 and reconstructed in 1887.
72pp, illustrated. £4.
A History of Hammersmith
Philip Whitting (ed.). Fourteen contributors have written on various aspects of Hammersmith’s history.
273pp, illlustrated. £4.50
Isaac le Gooch, King’s Jeweller and Latymer Benefactor
William Wheatley. Isaac le Gooch, who lived in Upper Mall, was Court Jeweller to Charles II and a benefactor of Latymer School.
30pp, illustrated. £1.50.
Ladybirds on the Wall
Barbara Denny. Memories of growing up in West Kensington, 1920-40.
59pp, illustrated. £3.
Leigh Hunt and his family in Hammersmith
Molly Tatchell. This distinguished writer lived the last few years of his life in Rowan Road.
102pp, illustrated. £3.50
Manbré: 100 Years of Sugar Refining in Hammersmith, 1874-1974
Jeanne Stoddard. The sugar refinery was actually sited just inside the boundary of the former Metropolitan Borough of Fulham.
56pp, illustrated. £2.
Medicine in the Parish of Fulham from the 14th Century: Fulham Hospital 1884-1959
A L Wyman. The hospital was bombed in WWII but continued until 1959 when bit by bit the old buildings were replaced by the new Charing Cross Hospital, which moved from WC2.
160pp, illustrated. £3.
Memories of a London Childhood [In the North End Road, Fulham]
Dorothy Ash. Mrs Ash ‘was born in the last summer of the 19th century in a small house in Fulham’ and lived in Fulham until she was thirty-three.
32pp, illustrated. £2
The Pauper’s Paradise: Poor Relief in Hammersmith, 1899-1907
Anne Connelly. A new Hammersmith Workhouse, opened in 1905, was dubbed ‘the Pauper’s Paradise’ by local newspapers on the grounds that the accommodation was too good. It is now part of Hammersmith Hospital.
28pp, illustrated. £1.50.
Personalities of Fulham and Hammersmith
EJ Willson. Short biographies of 450 people, famous and less well-known, who have lived in the area.
68pp, illustrated. £4.50
The Quest of the Golden Lion
John J Murray. In Fulham High Street stands a Golden Lion public house built in 1893. The author has traced the history of earlier buildings on the site over five hundred years.
80pp, illustrated. £3.50
Rosamund Vercoe. The house in the park, dating back to the 14th Century, was destroyed by bombing in 1941. The story of the park and the lost house remain of historical interest.
50pp, illustrated. £4
Seventeenth Century Taxation in Hammersmith
P E Jones. Tax assessments of 1693/4 provide the earliest list of Hammersmith residents.
West London Nursery Gardens
E J. Willson. 164 pp. Illustrated. £10.50
New Titles 2008
Charlotte Sulivan (1824-1911): ‘The best friend we have’
Sue Pierson. 80 pp, illustrated. £6.00
Bishop Creighton House 1908-2008
John Sheppard. 150 pp. Illustrated. £6.00
29 Ellerby Street
London SW6 6EX
Mail order only. Cheque payable to ‘Fulham and Hammersmith Historical Society’ with order, please. No callers.
33% trade discount.
A selection of pictures, postcards and maps is available at meetings